Interview - Simon Ekrelius


Simon Ekrelius illustrates a symbol of purity given to a minimal and structural silhouette expressing a modern femininity where the garment beautifies with strength an independence of mind. 

"The Other Half" Spring/Summer 2014 Collection defines a colourless aesthetic, where the shadows and shapes are finely created throughout the association of textures. His architectural sense of designing serves to express a unique sensibility.

unimaginaireirresolu
"How can you express the soul of your garments ?"

Simon Ekrelius
"I feel the balance of the human inside the garment and the cut, fabric and colours is like the language between reality and imagination. Something very intricate and interesting happens when I see my pieces on a human. It's a transformation which I never get tired of. That is also the reason why I'm doing this. 

My cuts, silhouettes, colours and attitudes are an expression of the time and the dimensions I am into or that I feel I want to be or come to"

unimaginaireirresolu
"What makes you believe in Fashion ?"

Simon Ekrelius
"Fashion is important for our society on so many levels, I believe in it as a language of who someone is or who they want to be, a desire and lust in dreams and visions, love or not love. I read people through their clothes all the time and most of the time I'm right off who they are, where they want to be or become. 

It is lovely to work with fabrics of all levels to try out the best of their best combinations. With a snip of one angle the garment change dramatically. The part that I don't like is all the sleaze which is going on in my industry and the vast amount corruption, all the fur trade and its terrible disgusting look at animals. Apart from that it's a lovely industry where there are so many people like me now, with a similar look at Fashion. 

I look at Fashion from an artist point of view not from any other angles. I don't care if I'm the only one who likes it, if I like it then it's perfect for me"


"The Other Half" | Spring/Summer 2014 

Photographer, Jenny Hands 
Fashion Editor, Kate Ruth

Comments